Monday, November 4, 2013

Be Obsessed With Life and Hoard Memories


I have always been a collector. From as far back as I can remember I always remember being surrounded by things that I had hoarded. It seems as though that is just part of my personality and something that I will continue to wrestle with. For some reason, I am always looking for more stuff.

Don’t worry, you don’t have to call TLC for an intervention. There are things that I have done in recent years to curb this need. Actually, I haven’t really stopped collecting I just shifted my attention and I have chosen different things to collect.

What began with toys (Mask and G.I. Joe in particular) turned into Coins, comic books, baseball cards, movies, music, books, and other tactile objects from various years of growth has now transformed into a mission to collect memories and capture them in the best way that I can. From visiting different places and meeting new people to enjoying the simple things of a cold day and falling leaves. I want to remember as much as I can.

Of course, this has led to my hoarding of photographs and blog posts but at least it takes some time for those to come to fruition. I am always afraid of the memories that may be lost and the details that could fade into the smearing of ink on a calendar. Memories are what makes us who we are and I don’t want to feel lost again.

After all, isn’t that the root of the problem when it comes to most hoarders and collectors (there actually is a difference)? Things giving a sense of meaning and being. Things represent the memories and people in someone’s life. They can give a sense of belonging and can serve as the means of forming a home for many.

My memories, my writing, my photographs are my being. Literally, they are recordings of my life, from my perspective, and provide me with a great sense of accomplishment before the pen hits the paper or my finger clicks the shutter. My life isn’t reliant upon my collecting but my collecting is dependent on my living life.

One moment, good or bad, should propel us to the next and combined create the flawed mosaic that represents us. While our pieces may be similar and sometimes nearly identical, they are shaded in a way that is unique to each of us making no two collages the same. We have control of that life, life forms our memories, and our memories should color our passions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment