Friday, November 1, 2013

Let These Serve As Reminders

Even some unexpected moments can serve as perfect reminders of all that we have.

As we live our lives, go to work, spend time with family there are always reminders that pop every now and again that remind us to appreciate what we have and to remember all that we have done. The last couple of days have been accented by such reminders for me. It is both one of the privileges and trials of being involved in organizations that embrace such a wide variety of people of all ages and abilities.

The first email I received a couple of days ago was while I was working hard in Arizona completely immersed in the various meetings and classes I was attending. It was an email from the District Deputy Grand Master informing all the members of my lodge of the passing of one of our fellow brothers at an unexpectedly young age. I guess it hit pretty close to home as there is a lot more that I want to do in life and it is certainly going to take more than 15 or 20 years.

I don’t even know if all that I want to accomplish could even be accomplished in one lifetime but I at least want to give it a good shot and that is certainly not enough time to do so. It really is something that will make you think about things that you could have done differently, the time that you may have wasted, and the changes that you know you need to make but have been putting off for way too long. Essentially, why wait until the new year to make resolutions when, at this point, that means you would have let another two months simply pass you by.

Fortunately, the other note that I got was something completely different and, as a matter of fact, quite flattering. I keep this blog as a way of remembering and a means to allow anyone who wants to look into my life to do so at their leisure. I’m not the government and I am a pretty boring person so there is nothing really for me to hide. But every once in a while I will write something that has piqued some interest and that was the case today as one of my posts was reprinted in the Rotary District (7450) newsletter.

I had no idea that this was going to be done but I have also always had a standing policy that people are free to disseminate my writing so long as they give the proper credit and citation. That was the case this week and makes me think that maybe I am accomplishing some of the things that I want to do in life and maybe there is a chance that, when all is said and done, I will have made a positive impact.

Sometimes we get so caught up in going from one project or event to another and fail to see the overall arch of what is being done and the impact our actions have beyond our immediate reach. Sometimes we need these reminders, happy and sad alike, to allow us to step back and think about all that we have seen, said, and done in our lives. You may even be surprised by how far your voice carries.

No comments:

Post a Comment