Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thirty Two Times Two

Yesterday I did something that I rarely do… I left work a little early for personal reasons. Actually it was for Masonic reasons. Last night I headed back to the Grand Lodge in Philadelphia to ‘complete’ my Scottish Rite degree work. While it is an education that will never end it was a night when I would receive my thirty second degree along with a number of my fellow brothers from my blue lodge (we may have been the most well represented of the lodges in the Valley).

Having gone through the one day class back in April, seeing so many brothers doing degree work all at once was not a strange sight for me. It is actually quite impressive to see so many committed brothers take another step in their Masonic journey. If anything it was an uplifting feeling being part of such a large group of 79 brothers (out of 88 petitioners) advancing at the same time.

I know that this achievement is just the beginning. There are a lot of degrees that I was unable to witness thus far and there are many things that I still need to learn. But the culmination of this first step has put me on good footing so that I can run rather than walk in my Masonic pursuits. How far and how fast will I be able to go I don’t know but I am going to try and make as much progress as possible.

My next planned step is to witness the wide variety of degrees that, so far, I have not been witness to and record my experiences with each and every one of them. I am looking forward not only to experiencing this part of the journey but also sharing it with a number of my fellow brothers. After all, that is part of being a member of this fraternity. We share our Masonic experience with our brothers and support one another in the journey.

It is an amazing sense of pride and accomplishment having gone from a man to a mason to a 32° Scottish Rite Mason in a matter of approximately six months. That’s right that means I received my thirty second degree less than two weeks after my thirty second birthday. And throughout this process I have been greeted, welcomed, and supported as a fellow brother. It just goes to show that, if you put forth the effort and are sincere in our intentions, you will be treated as family and your fellow brothers will stand behind you and beside you as you search for more light.

No comments:

Post a Comment