Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Well Hello Career, How Have You Been?



I’ve had an old Aerosmith song running in a loop in my head all day. “I’m back in the saddle again…” In case you haven’t heard, I accepted a position at a PR firm yesterday and today was my first day in the office. It was an amazing feeling returning to the profession which I love. Needless to say, it was a great day!

I can’t remember the last time that I looked forward to going to the office and working. Despite a lack of sleep from the day and night before, I was wide awake driving down the highway this morning and had to restrain my foot from pressing too hard on the accelerator. I couldn’t get to my new job fast enough.

I have had an inkling of this feeling in the past few years but never a fully fueled nervous excitement as I experienced today. Previously, that small kernel of an emotion was quashed as soon as I walked through the doors and was cast as an outsider. Today I was welcomed warmly and immediately felt like I was part of the team… like, as the cliché states, we had all known one another for years.

I quickly settled into my office and at my desk and within the first few moments came to the realization of how much I missed the industry. I always knew it was something I wanted to come back to but I really didn’t know how much I missed it. Learning, strategizing (not strategery), and corporate writing are all things that have been missing from my daily life for too long.

Of course, there was also a sense of relief as I was sitting in the car during the morning commute. Not only was I getting my career back in gear but I was once again joining the workforce of the waking hours. Knowing that the hours of darkness would soon come to an end lifted a great weight off my mind, my eyelids, and my marriage. Finally, we could see daylight at the end of the tunnel.

So what does this mean for this blog? Hopefully it doesn’t mean a thing. This is my free writing (mentally, creatively, and financially) and I will continue to write and post on a daily basis. The timing may vary (like it hasn’t already) but I will put forth the effort to keep things going. So, stay tuned, there should be some interesting posts getting put up in the near future. Actually, interesting for some and probably annoying for others. 

Oh, and if you know of any technology centric companies looking for PR have them reach out to me (come on, you can’t blame me for trying).

No comments:

Post a Comment