Friday, December 5, 2014

Family First


I spent much of the week finding the little time that I could to tie up some final things for the stated meeting last night. On my way to the lodge the plans for the evening began to slowly change. About halfway to Ardmore I got on the phone with my wife who wasn’t feeling particularly well earlier in the day. As it turned out, my last stated meeting of the year was actually last month.

When my wife called I was honestly a little frustrated as I had been looking forward to this particular meeting all year. It has taken a lot of work to get to this point and I really wanted to be there for some of the announcements that we had planned for the evening and to welcome the brothers who will be taking office for the next year. By the time I pulled into the parking lot I knew that was no longer a possibility.

I rushed through the front door trying to think about all the details that needed to be passed along before I could head back out. The brethren could see the stress and worry on my face as I ran up and down the stairs and from room to room doing my best to keep things organized. With less than 30 minutes until the meetings was to begin, I was finally able to pull my assistant aside and fill him in on the situation. I felt bad for the short notice but there wasn’t really anything that I could do about it.

It was a lose-lose situation where I felt bad for the time that it took to get out the door and to my wife but I also felt bad for having to miss my first meeting since June 2013 and my first as an officer. I was torn for a few minutes but, in the end, family comes first. Not surprisingly, I heard those words repeated many times over as I hustled to get moving.

As the meeting was starting I was unlocking the apartment door and immediately checked to see how my wife was feeling. We talked to the doctor, made sure that we did everything we could to care for her and our 28 week old son, and waited for things to improve. A long night later and my wife was feeling much better. And while I wasn’t able to be at the lodge meeting, I did hear about the reactions from the brethren regarding the announcements and found out that everything else went smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment