Monday, September 1, 2014

What Do We Consider Labor?


Last year I wrote about the history of this holiday and the story behind thecreation of this holiday that we call Labor Day. I wrote that post in the early hours of the morning while working the front desk of the apartment building. The irony was clear having to work on the holiday. This year I find myself in a completely different situation with the office closed and enjoying the day with my wife. Of course, there are always things that need to be done on the computer, there are always things that I am working on, but this year I had a choice.

This year I am wondering if I am working hard enough. There seems to be times when my focus isn’t what it should be and items aren’t checked off the list as quickly as they should be. I don’t know if I am working any slower or if my expectations keep going up. Honestly, I am not sure which one it is. All I know is that I keep thinking lately about where I should be versus where I actually am right now. This is particularly odd as I feel I am in the right place but not as far along as I should be if that makes any sense. Who knows, maybe I am just impatient and expect more of myself than is possible.

But, I digress, this is a day to celebrate the contributions that people have made to this nation with their own hands and their minds as well. While many may differentiate physical and office labor they are both contributing to the success of this country. The sweat, the stress, the creativity that has changed the society in which we live is what should be honored on this day. This is not a day to celebrate the unions which too many worker have become beholden, this day should honor the strength and work ethics of the individuals.

With that said, we must remember that some don’t have the choice of whether or not to work today. From those who would be considered ‘laborers’ to those sitting behind the desk at the office trying to meet a deadline. While completely different kinds of work and vastly different pay, they are all working to keep the job they have, doing the best they can at that job, and trying to find a way to reach their goals whether it is simply to support their family, ensuring the safety of others, or something more grandiose. Everyone who is striving to make a difference in their lives and/or the lives of other through their labor should be recognized on this Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment