Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pulling Papers Together

 

When my wife and I decided to resume our house hunt this summer I knew that, at some point, I was going to have to spend a fairly significant amount of time in my office pulling all the documents together needed to apply for a mortgage. While the prequalification process was relatively painless and pretty straightforward the subsequent list of items needed seemed a little daunting when I first read through them in my email. There was nothing out of the ordinary and it could have been really quick had I been up to date with all my filing and organization but that certainly was not the case.

Following my conversation with the bank to get prequalified, I received the following list of items needed for underwriting:

1.)    Copies of drivers licenses and copy of a credit card (for ID purposes)
2.)    Copies of W2s from 2013 and 2014
3.)    Copies of full federal tax returns (form 1040) from 2013 and 2014
4.)    Copies of pay stubs from the most recent 30 days – (last 2 pay stubs if you are paid bi-weekly)
5.)    Copies of bank/investment account statement covering the most recent 2 months (most recent quarter for quarterly statement) – please include every page of the statement even if it is blank
6.)    Copy of fully executed agreement of sale (when available)
7.)    Copy of will and death decree to document inheritance

Again, not a problem if everything were neatly filed away and labeled. It took some time and a lot of patience but I was finally able to get everything ready to go. It was a time consuming process and one that could have probably been put off for a while but I wanted to be able to get things moving rather quickly as soon as we found our home.  

Of course, while pulling all of these items together I could help but think to myself that I should probably just put aside all the items I need to finally file our taxes this fall. There is a heck of a lot of overlap in the two lists and this mortgage process would be the perfect impetus for starting that tax file. And I do mean start as our taxes are an annual pain in the rear consisting of hundreds of pages of supporting documentation for the purpose of itemizing all our deductions. The mortgage underwriting documents are done but the tax documents still have a long way to go. Thankfully, I have a really comfortable office chair and my files are now in better change then they have been in months. I just hope I don’t have to break out the check book again!

No comments:

Post a Comment