Friday, September 11, 2015

Firearms Friday: Let Us Defend Ourselves!

 

The moment when 9/11 happened I was a completely different person than I am today. It is safe to say that in those never ending minutes, we were all changed at least a little bit. As events have progressed over the years, I have changed more and more. While I can’t say that day had a direct impact on all the changes in my life, it did change the world as we know it and how we see it. Those are the things that have really had an impact on my life.

For many naïve years, I held the belief that the government has the objective of helping people and also has our best interests in mind. As we all know (or should know), that is definitely not the case as the primary drivers of the government, in its current incarnation, are the pursuit of more power and control with the objective of helping itself above all others. Essentially, when I was younger I was not willing be self-reliant and accept responsibility for my circumstances. Those who knew me back then can attest that fact.

To rely on yourself is to truly be free and this is what flies in the face of those who committed those heinous acts on that day. They allowed themselves to be sheep and carry out the murderous plot of a radical terrorist group. Those cowards deemed all those who did not ascribe to their beliefs to be unworthy of life. They didn’t value life nor the freedom which we all enjoy… the freedom to be ourselves rather than ascribing to the viewpoints of a particular terrorist organization. They relied on that organization to tell them what to do, how to think, and how to live their lives. They were sheep.

Over time, this particular point has resonated throughout my life. While I have my views (personal, religious, political, etc.) I am not reliant upon the determinations of a particular party or person. Sometimes I agree with people while other times I have a completely different stance on a subject. At the same time, others have the same right to have their own views. For the most part, this is a mutually agreeable position. However, there are some who would like nothing more than to strip me of my right to defend myself, of being self-reliant, and of being responsible for my own actions and not guilty because of the actions of others.

Stripping us of our right to defend ourselves, of our freedom to arm ourselves, is exactly what those hell bent on our destruction have wanted to see for years. The media war is constant citing emotional responses and false facts to support their claims. After all, if we could save a single life… However, our focus, especially on this day, should be to embrace the freedoms so feared by others dead set against us and focus our energy on saving lives without infringing upon our rights. Maybe we should devote the time, energy, and money to education and convincing others to drive more carefully. After all, there is no deadlier inanimate object than the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment