Monday, May 19, 2014

Knowing When Not To 'Help'...


When given the opportunity I try to help people whenever I can. Sometimes it works out, other times I am absolutely no help at all. I really don’t know if this is a good trait or a bad one but it is part of who I am and I do my best to make things better for people in tough situation. However, I will say that sometimes my humor can get in the way at times and so I try to pay particular attention to that and curb those comments to the best of my ability.

In my various roles and duties across the numerous jobs I have and positions I hold, this desire to help has proven to be quite an asset. With that said, I have had to focus hard on my limitations and know when it really isn’t a good idea to interject or assist. I have written about one aspect of those boundaries before when I discussed some of the requests that I have received while at the office. That is just one place, one job, and one small part of this whole equation.

Countless times, especially lately, there have been times where something needed to be done, some assistance needed to be offered, but I was definitely not the one who could help. In some of those cases I just wasn’t equipped to satisfy the needs of the situation while other times the situation was just out of control and there wasn’t really anyone who could change what was going to happen. It is during these humbling times of helplessness that all I could do is hope and pray that everything was going to work out. At most, I could be an attentive ear but no words or actions would offer any solace, it would just be BS.

Those are the times when being a person willing to help is the most difficult. Equally agonizing is when there are challenges that someone you care about is facing and you know that any proactive steps that you may take would only make things worse so all you can do is sit back, grind your teeth and wring your hands. Selfishly, I would much rather be the person facing the challenges so that I could go full bore into the situation and forcibly clear any obstacles, nuisances, and threats that try to get in my way. Patience was never something that I was good at but I guess it is something that I have to embrace at times. So, for now, I am going to complete this rant and shut the heck up.

No comments:

Post a Comment