Thursday, May 22, 2014

Checking Things Off The Masonic List


There are times when I lose track of all the little things that I have to get done in a day. Hey, its what happens when there are so many things going on at the same time. With everything that has been going on lately, especially at the office, I have not been able to keep up with a lot of the things as Secretary of my lodge. Don’t get me wrong, what needs to be done gets done but just barely. Besides, I am not one to just do the minimum.

Even something as basic as keeping up with a few of the records has been put off for the past month and the notice and minutes for the meetings have been last minute scrambles, sometimes the day of the stated, as there always seems to be one project or another popping up and stealing the time away. It has been this constant running behind that has been grinding at me for months and keeping me from taking time to relax.

Today seemed a little different, almost like the air had changed and the inhale and exhale seemed slightly easier. While there is still plenty of work that needs to get done much of which will certainly bleed into the long weekend, the pace has been picking up and my focus has gotten a little sharper. Just enough to notice. Because of that internal and external environment, today I found myself finally having a few moments in the day to knock out some of the things that have been relegated to the background of my desktop.

It’s when I finally find the time for these tasks when I truly appreciate the work that I am a part of and the privilege that it is to be privy to the details of the lodge. It is also during these times when I realize that I have actually been accomplishing a lot even though there may be things here and there that are slightly behind. Being in the center of the lodge and the communication thereof, I can’t help but get things done and keep things moving.

When I see the number of items crossed off my Masonic checklist I feel a great sense of accomplishment but, at the same time, it makes me look forward to the slow months quickly approaching when the lodge is largely silent. We all need a break every now and then especially those who proudly serve in various roles at the lodge. It will be nice to take some additional time to catch up with some of my brothers without having to run back to my office to get something done. I am looking forward to this time off not from the lodge but from some of the routines of the month so that I can better appreciate the times of fellowship that are scheduled during the summer. Of course, I do have other things scheduled in the early part of the summer but you will just have to read about those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment