Sunday, February 9, 2014

Where Does The Time Go?


That question can be applied to many different things with a variety of parameters. Sometimes it is a movie or television show that flies by, a book that seems to read itself, a project that defies the confines of time, a day with more tasks than hours, a week of constant motion, months of revolving deadlines, years of living. All these things seem separate from the simple ticking of a clock and are counted not in seconds or minutes but in memory and motivation. It was all of these actualizations that converged into this weekend which is now gone and counted in the past with all those other experiences.

Usually I don’t mind the rush of my schedule and trying to keep up with my calendar as is pulls on the leash trying to drag me away from what I am doing. Sometimes it is a good thing to move on, take a break from one task, and get other ones done or at least started. This weekend was not one of those times. I had a few things that I wanted to get done, a few projects that needed to be completed, and, for the first time in a while, I set aside time to do them. My weekend turned into something akin to the Obamacare rollout… I fought to get the plan together and moved a few things around but when I began implementing those plans it turned into a giant CF.

There were also reminders just how much time has gotten away from me over the years as birthdays listed on Facebook represented a whole group of people that I haven’t talked to in a long time. I have seen the changes in their lives through the quick glimpses on my social media streams but it is one flow of information that is nearly impossible to paddle against the current. And, most of the time, I am only able to catch a brief ripple of a photo or update as the currents are too broad to cross and try to catch all the information out there.

Of course, that was the broad application of the question. On a daily/hourly basis there are the usual list of things that got in the way like having to head into the office this morning and dealing with the snow tonight both cleaning and driving on the untouched roads. This combined with a delay in my wife’s flight (again, due to weather) sucked much of the time out of my day and weekend. It seems like this is an all too common of an occurrence which leaves me tired come Sunday night.

But tomorrow everything is back to normal and the Freaky Friday weekend will be over. I am sure that tomorrow morning will be a rude awakening for my wife as I am by no means a morning person and will require my alarm going off for at least thirty minutes. Maybe future plans will stick and I will be able to rest for a weekend. Well, maybe next month, the next two weekend have something scheduled.

No comments:

Post a Comment