Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunday Search: Who’s Next?


With the first supplemental application nearly done it is time to start looking through the family tree to see which line I will be submitting next. Now that the “easy” ones have been documented, all of the other options are going to require some more work. That being said, now that I have traced one ancestor on my father’s side and one on my mother’s side, I can at least look at all possibilities without having to limit my options. With that in mind, I have to look and see what information I do have and how likely it will be to find the supporting documentation I need for the additional lines.

Looking back at the list I compiled in March, there are certain things that still need to be worked on for each of the ancestors listed. While we have already submitted documentation for the Redcross and Noblit lines, there are still twenty eight (28) other names on that list. However, from that list, I have at least narrowed the selection down to a few ancestors where the mysteries are minimal and acquiring the documentation is realistic pursuit given my limited time at the moment.  

Jacob Duffordt, Virginia Patriotic Service, Provided supplies to the Continental Army. We have the documentation of him paying the supply tax as well as, what I believe to be his service in one of the Flying Camps. Additionally, I have all marriage certificates and other documentation going back to his grandson, my 4th great grandfather Jacob Teaford, whom I wrote about in May regarding his service at Norfolk during the War of 1812. The issue with this line is that we aren’t 100% certain as to the identity of this Jacob’s mother. It is a mystery that the family has been working on for decades but I believe that I am making some headway.

This is likely the next supplemental application that I will be completing but there are other patriots in the family that I will be researching at the same time including:

  • Johann David Von Nida, Virginia Patriotic Service, Paid Supply Tax
  • Frederick Boyer, Philadelphia County Militia
  • John Snider/Snyder, Corporal, Flying Camp Maryland Militia; Wounded at White Plains.
  • George Michael Wilfong / Wildtfang, Virginia Patriotic Service, Paid Supply Tax
  • John Cook, Private, Logan County Virginia Militia
  • William Terry, 3rd and 5th Virginia regiments
  • John Philip Mumbauer, Private, Bucks County Pennsylvania Infantry
  • John Norbeck, 1st Battalion, Berks County Pennsylvania Militia
  • John Phillip Young, 6th Battalion, Philadelphia County Militia
  • Rufus Cone, 7th and 17th Connecticut Regiments; Taken prisoner at the Battle of Long Island; Died aboard the prison ship off the coast
  • Matthias Kerlin, Pennsylvania Patriotic Service, Paid Supply Tax
Again, all have their small gaps in the documentation but I am confident in tracing these names and we will eventually be able to verify them. The real question for me is whether we will be able to trace back through the Muhlenberg line as this requires my research on one generation to be supported through documentation as the maiden name is the one that I have traced. This will require a considerable amount of effort which is why it will be worked on in the future, after a number of other patriots have been proven. That being said, I welcome any information on the Muhlenberg family tree to get things started.

No comments:

Post a Comment