Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sunday Search: Other Genealogy Groups

More piles of paperwork like this one should be expected...  
While I should hear back soon, I am still waiting to hear back from the Sons of the American Revolution regarding my application tracing back to John Redcross. As this process continues, I am looking into a variety of other genealogy, specifically hereditary and lineage based, organizations. The first group consists of those closely tied with the current outstanding application and the supporting documentation already compiled. This should streamline my application for the Sons of the Revolution. And while currently under consideration through a different line, it is possible that I may submit an additional application tracing back to John Redcross to the Monacan Indian Nation… we just need to find that one additional document!

Of course, while compiling the other supplemental applications to these aforementioned organizations, there is the possibility that I could uncover additional information prior to the revolution or find ancestors who served as commissioned officers. In these instances I will be sure to process additional applications to the Order of the Founders and Patriots of America, the National Society Sons of the American Colonists, The Society of the Cincinnati, and the General Society of Colonial Wars. All of these organizations have varying genealogical requirements so there really is no guarantee that I will be able to successfully gain membership but I can always try so long as I have the evidence to support my claim.

Given the broad history that we have uncovered in my family, on both sides, it is interesting to see where I can submit applications for membership. After all, not all lines can be traced back to the Revolution, or involvement thereof, so it is quite useful to have a number of other organizations to join for not only the purpose of enjoying the company of others with a common family history but also as a means to confirm and verify the research and genealogy work that we have done. Depending on the family line, there are a variety of other organizations for which I have already pulled together the necessary documentation which include the Society of the War of 1812 (Jacob Teaford), the Sons of Confederate Veterans (George William Clapsaddle), and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (Jacob Worth).

The only other organization that offers some certainty as to whether or not we will be able to gain recognition is the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania which recognizes the First Families of Pennsylvania. This recognition is achieved by a “GSP member who can prove descent from a resident of what is now Pennsylvania” during one of the following time periods: Colony and Commonwealth: 1638–1790; Keystone and Cornerstone: 1791–1865; or, Pennsylvania Proud: 1866–1900. There are plenty of ancestral options on my mom’s side of the family and, surprisingly, a few possibilities on my dad’s side as well. These will, most likely, be submitted as I pull together information for some of the aforementioned organizations when there is an overlap in the genealogy.  

Those are the organizations where I have a certain level of confidence that I will, at one point or another, be submitting an application for membership. However, there are some other lines that I have been tracking which, while I have yet to fully document, could provide some additional opportunities to submit applications to the Military Order of the Stars and Bars (Confederate Officers), Aztec Club of 1847 (Mexican War), The Huguenot Society of America (French Huguenots), and the Saint Nicholas Society of the City of New York (ancestors living in New York prior to the Revolution). Again, I consider these the long shots but if the documentation is there I will gladly submit the applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment