Friday, August 21, 2015

Firearms Friday: House Hunting Edition


One of the things that I have enjoyed about our current rental is the fact that I have room for my desk and my work bench. It allows me to escape a bit and go somewhere quiet so that I can either get work done, research a few leaves on the tree, or build/upgrade a few firearms. It has been nice having this space and something that I hope to have in a new home.

While it is common for home buyers to include an office space on their wish list, my request takes it a few steps further. While I need the space for a desk, bookshelves, and filing cabinets it also has to have additional storage and space for both my work bench (I will be bringing the current one with us) and a rather large safe (I plan on upgrading once we move). And when I say large safe I am not kidding around. Best guess is that we will need to have a floor that can support at least a couple thousand pounds (empty).

If we are going to find a place where we can stay for a long time (we hope to never have to move again), this is one of the things that I would like to have. Some may see this as an expensive and somewhat selfish item and to a certain extent they would be right. It is something I want. However, it is also something that we need in our home as I want everything to be as secure as possible. This is also why I am going to take things a step further and have a full security system… something that we both agree on.  

Basically, what it comes down to is that this is a hobby and a passion of mine. Something that relaxes me and something that I enjoy in my free time. I hope to one day share this passion with my son while also teaching him about the importance of safety both in proper handing at the range and, as in this case, proper storage at home. I would much rather him grow up thinking that this level of security is the norm as opposed to the contrary.

In the end, there are many things on our wish list for a new home. The majority of those items are things that both my wife and I want to find while other things are on the list that we have each added. It just goes to show that it is both our similarities and our differences that bring us together and what make up the perfect (and safe) home for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment