Friday, April 24, 2015

Firearms Friday: Bad Glock!


I have always been a fan of Glock. The prices are reasonable, the guns are accurate, and I have never had any issues with the firearms that I have used on the range. Additionally, replacement and enhancement parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. It is for these reasons that I carried a Glock for a while. Never had any issues and still don’t have any issue with the actual firearms themselves. Period.

However, I recently received an email from a local gun shop (not my usual gun shop) that had me a little perturbed. In the subject line I read “ALERT: Response to Glock Blue Label Program Termination” and immediately had to open up the message to find out what this was about. I was expecting some kind of pricing dispute (the prices aren’t really that good) or some other kind argument that resulted in this termination. As soon as I began reading, I knew that this was a much different scenario. Please note that I have omitted the name of the gun shop as it is not necessary for the purposes of this post. The letter to customers begins as follows:


While I can understand Glock’s concern in the matter and wanting to find some way of accounting for all Blue Label sales, the sharing of information such as this is not something that I support. I am very familiar with this particular gun shop and know for a fact that they sell to a lot of military and law enforcement personnel. They always have great prices and are a high volume seller that does everything by the book and according to the law. There is no doubt in my mind that they are in the right. If anything, this whole debate demonstrates a lack of trust that Glock has with their dealers/distributors. While these first two paragraphs are bad enough, the details just kept on getting worse:


So, this wasn’t just a letter, phone call, or email… a Glock representative was physically in the store making these demands. Furthermore, he was focused on the ATF Form 4473 which, as you know, contain a lot of personal information including name, address, birthday, social security number, etc. Anyone who has bought a firearm at a gun shop has filled out this form. While dealers are required to keep these forms on premise they are only referenced under extreme and specific circumstances… Glock’s request does not meet the criteria. Thankfully, this local shop cares about their customers, their privacy, and their rights.   


This is a matter of personal privacy and individual freedom. This is a fight that we have been having for years now… the right to keep this information private. If access is granted to manufacturers why wouldn’t the government insist on the same access? It is a slippery slope but what do you expect when the hill is covered with this kind of BS. So, I fully support this gun shop in taking a stand against Glock and I encourage all dealers who participate in the Blue Label Program to take a stand as well. We have to do all that we can to protect and preserve our rights at every opportunity and not let instances like this slowly chip away and cause cracks in our foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment