Friday, December 11, 2015

Firearms Friday: Adding Security


It is no secret to anyone that has read this blog that I am a strong supporter of the rights to own and carry a firearm as well as an advocate for those choosing to own a firearm for self-defense. It is something that I choose to do as a means to protect my family. However, let me be clear, it is a last line of defense in maintaining the safety of my family. Contrary to some misguided opinions that I have read, your firearm should not be your only means of defending your home and your family.

While I have no qualms about doing everything in my power to defend my wife and son, it is with that aforementioned point in mind that I called ADT shortly after settling on the house, had the consultation on moving day, and had the system installed this past weekend. In addition to the security and peace of mind that it provides (and the hard evidence as we have video surveillance) whether we are home or away, it also serves as a warning system should someone continue with their devious motivations and enters our home while we are asleep. Even if it is only a few seconds, that is enough time for me to prepare and make ready to eliminate the threat to my family’s well-being.

As I have written about before, there are other steps that need to be taken as well including making sure that the firearms that you do have in the house are secure. The last thing you want to happen is for a child to gain access to your firearm(s). The second to last thing you want to happen is for someone to break in and have access to your weapon. In addition to a decent safe in a more secure area of the house, you should also have some kind of quick access vault in your bedroom should something or, more accurately, someone go bump in the night.

I also recommend having a second quick access vault in areas of the house where you spend the most time. Remember, not all break-ins will occur in the dead of the night. They should be in places that are easily accessible and would be considered obvious to those who know where they are because you are not trying to hide, you are trying to conceal and defend. It is the last thing that you want to have to reach for but you never know when you might need it. Again, this is not something anyone wants to have to do and it should be a final not a first act but at least this was you can ensure that your family is safe at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment