Monday, June 2, 2014

Sunday: The Complete Opposite Of Saturday

Name that movie (before he became Batman)...
I know I have written about this before but it has been some time since I last approached the subject and that is because of the simple reason that I hate cleaning. However, there comes a time when you just look around and you have no other choice but to pull out the vacuum, prep the Swiffer, and knock off all the crud from the bottom of the broom. Sunday was that time for me when I could feel the dirt on the bottom of my socks and I could see the coating of dust on the coffee table.

With other things on my plate for the day, it was by no means a deep cleaning (that will have to be done at a later time) but I was at least able to clear off a couple of the tables and pile all of the miscellaneous crap into one consolidated area. Yesterday was all about reducing the coverage of the clutter rather than eliminating the mass of the mess. So now, everything has been shoved to one side or another and neatly stacked in sortable piles which I am sure will sit for at least another week before being touched.

Once these things are taken care of it will be time to vacuum the entire apartment. This is not going to be one of those quick pass type jobs, this is going to be an all-day process with multiple passes, numerous bag changes, and a follow up Swiffer to take care of all the fine dust kicked up throughout the marathon. That is the part that I am really not looking forward to. Everything else is bearably, it’s that vacuuming that is a royal PITA.

At least when you are sorting through piles on tables you have the occasional moment of “I forgot we had that” or “I was wondering where I put that”. Vacuuming does not throw in those moments of relief. You are not going to reminisce about a Dorito that you had a month ago that bounced under the sofa only to be found by the bristles and suction of your Hoover. It just doesn’t work that way, at least not for me.

So I guess you could say that round one is done with the longer, more exhausting, rounds to go. While I am not looking forward to the process, I can’t wait for the end result when we return to a state of maintenance rather than recovery. Until we get to that point it is a matter of returning to cleanliness and working on the maintenance schedule that will immediately follow. I guess we will see how that holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment