Friday, June 21, 2013

George Wallace and a Pitcher of Kool-Aid


Whenever I pull into the parking lot I notice at least a few bumper or window stickers scattered throughout the spaces. Some I agree with, many I don’t. I’m sure that my car is one that makes most residents grumble something disparaging under their breath as they scurry to their vehicles.

What disturbs me about these passive proclamations is that they are all the same. Everyone seems to follow in the same line of thought and opinion. They are so similar that they should just have a big picture of a pitcher of Kool-Aid on the hood of their car with Bill Maher swimming in it.

Also, the assumptions that these Jonestown timeshare holders make are ridiculous with the prime example being that the reason I don’t have an Obama / Biden sticker on my car is because I am a racist. Remember, it is not just about what you support but also about what you don’t support.  In this instance, if harboring a hatred for idiots and a-holes makes someone a racist then call me George Wallace. I don’t think you’re an idiot for supporting them I just think you are misguided and didn’t think about where you were going before you followed the herd off the cliff.   

The most interesting reactions thus far have been ones to a little piece on my back window… they seem confused as to the unfamiliar design so they take a closer look until they finally realize that they are analyzing a NRA sticker. You’d think I had murdered someone and they saw a sign that said that the body was in the trunk. Now that I think about it, maybe that is why I don’t have any dings in my doors. I guess fear can sometimes be a good thing.

What gets lost in the shock and horror above is the that fact that if you look at the other organizations represented in my windows you will find that I am a reasonably educated Mason and Rotarian who volunteers with a group that helps disabled kids. I am such a bad person and I guess you have every reason to fear me. And the fact that these are all represented on a gas only car means I am going straight to hell.

Maybe these people should focus on something else when they stare at my windows. Maybe the real problem is in the reflection. That seems to be the common thread between assumption and judgment. I too need to pay attention to my own reflection even when I know, without a doubt, that they are an a-hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment