Sunday, March 23, 2014

Home, Home On The Range…


As I mentioned yesterday, I discovered a range up where my wife and I are considering moving (Target World in Chalfont to be exact). Well, I had to check it out and see if it really was a bonus consideration or whether it was a non-issue. So, today, I had to head back up there and check it out. Besides, it is an easier drive than heading down to the Delaware boarder to my usual stress relief center. Plus, it actually worked out as I was able to get out of the house making it easier for my wife to get some classwork done. Got to love having a reason placed upon a tee.

The time that I spent on the range was more about getting my technique back rather than any sort of accuracy as I have only recently returned to the sport. In fact, many of the magazines were highly frustrating as I continued working on my grip and getting my sight picture back. Needless to say, the target was not kind to my efforts as my eyes, grip, and finger placement threw the lead all over the red and black. While the results may have been acceptable to some, it is not what I am capable of and therefore there is no picture of the target to share.

By the end of the session, I was just getting things to come around putting the bullet through the same hole at ten yards on many occasions (mostly with the last magazine). At that point I could have shot all day but there was a constant crowd waiting for a lane and I didn’t want to be ‘that guy’. Having packed everything into my range bag it was time to walk down the firing line and see what everyone else brought with them. Much of what I saw was the usual collection but one really caught my, and everyone else’s attention, which was the beast known as the Desert Eagle. Now I know that the recoil from the .44 Magnum chambering feels much like a 9mm. I’ll let you know when I am, finally, able to shoot the 50 AE version (now that has some kick).

From the range I walked into the shop and was just browsing around looking at all the magnificent engineering and machining in the cases when some of the sales people and customers alike began to ask me questions. This is normal as everyone wonders what guns people shoot, what your preferences are, and what you might think about another make and/or model. Of course, I was happy to discuss all of these things and before long I found myself in an interesting position when one of the men behind the counter offered me a weekend job.

This was a first and while I politely turned the offer down (which is still available if I should change my mind) it was a good feeling knowing that people believe I know enough to do the job. I know that I have more knowledge than some but recognize that I have far less than others. At the very least, it has motivated me to learn a little more and continue to work on the fundamentals so that my marksmanship is at least on par with what I know about firearms. It is just going to take some time and a lot of practice. Maybe there will even be some competitions in my future. But, for now, I just have to keep going back to the range and working on the fundamentals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment