Monday, December 16, 2013

First Words


Tonight it was time to work on the monthly lodge notice. Not a new occurrence but for me it was a first. The notice that will be sent out to the brethren in the coming week will have a message from the new officers meaning that this is my first communication to the lodge as Secretary.

I wasn’t sure exactly how to go about it but once I set down and thought for a few minutes about what I was doing it was quite easy. What I found myself writing was a simple message of gratitude and of anticipation for the upcoming Masonic year. While I am still uncertain as to the ins and outs of my new position one thing I already know how to do is to be forthright in my words and honest in my message. After all, that is really all we can ask of one another and that is exactly how I will treat each and every brother regardless of office, age, or involvement.

While not the entire message, here are my first thoughts as expressed in the current notice to the Brethren:

As we welcome a new year I am humbled by the trust you have placed in me to serve you and the lodge in the coming Masonic year. Thank you for granting me the privilege to serve. I look forward to working with and for all of you in the coming year and supporting the Worshipful Master, the officers, the trustees, and all of my fellow brethren to make this coming year both memorable and one for which we can all be proud… I wish you a happy and health holiday season and a new year full of Masonic light!

This pretty much sums up my plans for the upcoming year. While there are many things that need to be worked on and many ideas floating around in my head, the basic sentiment remains the same across the board. My job is to be a resource to the lodge and to my brothers and that is exactly what I hope to be. While I may never be the most knowledgeable and I am certainly not always going to have the best ideas, I am going to do everything in my power to improve the lodge and provide an experience for my fellow brothers that will leave them wanting to do more, contribute more, and participate fully in this fraternity for which I have a growing passion.

My first words will not be my last and the hope that I have for my fellow Masons and for the loge will forever grow brighter. I am heading into this part of my journey knowing that this path is not a temporary sojourn but one that I will traverse with all the fortitude that I can muster. While some may view my pending task(s) with trepidation, I am looking forward to the challenge and the opportunities for growth that have been laid before me. This is indeed a long trek and one that I begin with great anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment