Thursday, March 5, 2015

Going To School…


Ironically, I am writing this post as all the schools in the area are closed due to the heavy snow smothering the area. Thankfully, the flakes held off just long enough so that I was able to make it to school and back home last night without any problems. No, I am not pursuing another graduate degree. I was at the lodge last night and so were many other brothers interested in learning more of the details regarding the first degree as the Sixth Masonic District School of Instruction held their class in Ardmore.

Previously, the school would meet at a set location with the traveling aspect having just been implemented this year to both increase attendance and make things a little more convenient for some of the brothers in the district. It is because of these reasons that I have been unable to attend a meeting of the school until last night. With that said, I was able to participate at the Regional School last April reviewing business of the lodge and that was a whole different experience all together. I am comfortable in my own lodge at my own desk but I can’t say as much about occupying the same chair in one of the meeting rooms at Grand Lodge.

It was an interesting night with the lodge full of brothers that I only see occasionally at Masonic events throughout the year. More importantly, it was a great experience for many of our newly raised brethren who were able to receive instruction on many of the nuances of the ritual work. Many of these details can be overlooked no matter how long someone has been a mason or how many degrees in which they have participated. We all welcomed the instruction and observed intently the timing and exact movements that were corrected throughout the night.

It was fascinating to watch from the vantage point of the Secretary’s desk as I have a limited role in the degrees so I was able to take everything in without having to think about motions or movements. It was important because I have filled in at various times in some of those chairs and it would be nice if I knew what I was doing. With that said, there is no way that I will retain much of the minutia that was reviewed so I guess I will have to continue attending class whenever time permits. Your guess is as good as mine as to where I will find that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment