Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday Search: In Flight Questions


I am not someone who flies well. In fact, there have been many times when I have barely been able to open my eyes on the plane. It isn’t really the flying part that gets me it is the taking off and landing that doesn’t play well with my stomach. However, there have been moments from time to time when, for some reason, there hasn’t been even the slightest twinge of queasiness. Ever hopeful, I always have a project or two on hand when I fly with the hope that I will actually be able to remain productive during these unusual moments.

Today was kind of an in-between flight for me. While I was not in a position to start pulling out books and files or flip open my laptop, I was still able to think about some of the questions that still linger in the family tree. Keep in mind that these are topics that I keep on hand, jotted either on a post it note at my desk or, as was the case here, written as a note on my cell phone. Here are the questions that I keep coming back to hoping that I can think of a new angle or a new place to look:

  • Why can’t I find any record of Marcellias Nicholas Love prior to his marriage to Laura Belle Redcross in 1889?
  • Who was the third Jacob Teaford’s mother? Can this information be found in his service record from the War of 1812?
  • Where is the marriage certificate of Paulus Redcross and Frances Beverly?
  • When did the original William McKenna immigrate to the United States? Where did he enter?
  • Where are the records for Alexander Fulton? Any relation to the Fulton family in Lancaster County?
  • Why is there so little information on Mary Eppright? Is the family really tied to the Muhlenberg line?
  • Who is John W. Ardis’ father? Was he in the Revolutionary War?
  • Where can I find more information on the Yeagle and Corner families?
  • Who was John Uttley’s father? What did he do (his son and grandson became Philadelphia Police Officers)?
These are the questions that I am most eager to answer at this point in my research. This is why I keep this list with me nearly everywhere I go. It is a simple reminder that I am sure most genealogists keep on hand not just for when we are sitting among the stacks or at our laptop at home. Sometimes we just need to step away from the inundation of information and just think about the possibilities of where we might find the answers as well as mull over the many theories that we all have regarding our family mysteries. In the end, there are times when these undistracted moments can be the most fruitful. But, for now, for me, they remain questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment