Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Changes Still Pending


Another month has already passed and I am finding myself in a slightly better situation than before the last stated meeting. The notice is just about done and should be out in a day or two, the minutes will be completed by the end of the week, and various communications have already been taken care of. Of course, there are always the lingering items, emails, and letters that will surely persist up until the moment we all converge upon the lodge but that is just part of the routine.

However, there is a pattern that has carried over from the summer. One that I am not too happy about and will have to be addressed again. The bills remain unpaid and checks still need to be drafted. We didn’t have a full roster of officers at the last stated which prevented us from taking care of these essential items in a timely manner and now, later in the month, our schedules are completely out of sync and the communication which we rely so heavily upon has dwindled.

There are moments when I really don’t know what else to do. Time is something that I have very little of and the lack of consistency from month to month is wreaking havoc on my calendar. After a long day at the office I just want to get home and spend time with my wife and son. This is why I have all of my meetings at the lodge and other gatherings scheduled well in advance. It would be one thing to have our meetings on some other consistent night during the month but the jumping from block to block on the calendar is not something that works for me.

We have addressed this exact issue in the past, several times actually, and have put forth a plan to get things done on time but, as of today, there is no change. It won’t be long before I once again have to field numerous calls from the brethren regarding this issue. It may seem like a minor glitch to some and it was at first but not it is a major problem and one that has at time had me seriously considering stepping down at the end of the year. The only things that have stopped me have been the encouragement of other brothers and the simple fact that there are many more aspects of this office that I enjoy compared to those that bother me.

Hopefully the next few days / weeks / months will bring about a change for the better and those fleeting thoughts will fly away (at least for an extended period of time). I guess we will just have to continue waiting and see what happens… hopefully my phone doesn’t start ringing again. In the meantime, there is just over a week to go before the next stated meeting and I have a job to do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment