Monday, August 24, 2015

No More Fees For You!


Over the years I have had accounts at a variety of banks. For one reason or another, I have also changed banks numerous times. Usually it was because of location or the simple fact that it was bought out by one of the larger financial institutions. In the past it was never much of an issue as I didn’t have many automatic payments and I didn’t write too many checks. However, things change and I am now in the process of shifting things over once again.

While the hours at TD Bank have always been very convenient and the sheer size of the company assures that there is always a location just around the corner, the benefits pretty much stop there. Over the past couple of years I have watched as the various fees have been scattered throughout my monthly statements. I always pay bills on time but ATM and ‘Balance Inquiry’ fees have been a source of annoyance. I sometimes wonder what the account balance would be if those $2 and $3 fees over the past several years where returned. Actually, I really don’t want to know.

In addition to this, the speed at which transactions are processed is about as fast as a constipated turtle. Having already transferred most of our funds to another bank, I can say with certainty that this is not the normal pace at which a bank should be operating. A perfect example is when, some time ago, I transferred my credit card balance to another bank and while I know this other bank sent the electronic payment and posted it to the other account, it still took TD Bank nearly two weeks before confirming the transaction and reflecting that on my statement.

I am done with this particular company. Heck, this bank wasn’t my choice anyway as I originally had an account with Commerce Bank. So now I am taking my funds, as limited as they may be, and moving them to a local bank. While there hours and locations may not be as convenient, the service and speed thus far is something that we haven’t experienced in the past. When we have a question there is always someone there to answer it, transactions are posted within a day, and the fees have magically disappeared replaced by an interest bearing checking account. It is a bank that choses to deal with their customers not solely the accounts associated with them. It is nice to be a person again… a welcomed change… only the latest of a year full of changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment