Sunday, December 15, 2013

Rotary Letter

The last few months have been hectic but that is nothing new to those who have been following this blog. What I haven’t really written about at length is my ongoing dilemma with regard to Rotary. While I have touched upon the scheduling difficulties from time to time I haven’t spoken of the back and forth in my own mind regarding my continued participation with my club. Although sometimes there is a lot on information to be found in the unsaid as Rotary posts have been lacking for some time now.

Not long ago I received a message on my cell phone from a fellow Rotarian from my club and the immediate past President. It caught me a little off guard as I had not let my thoughts go that far… his message was asking whether or not I was going to resign from the club and if I was going to do so I would have to submit a letter of notification by the middle of the month. It was a wrenching thought to consider but it was a reality that I knew I had to face. After many days, this is the letter I have written with my final, albeit temporary, decision:

Dear BCN Club President,

It is with great sadness that I write this letter. At this time, I must resign both as an officer and as a member of the Rotary Club of Bala Cynwyd – Narberth.

Due to my increasing number of commitments on my schedule combined with my extended work day, I am unable to attend the prerequisite number of meetings in order to sustain my membership in the club or in Rotary. This is the sole reason for my resignation. It is simply a matter of timing.

Moving forward, if the club would be willing to accept, I would like to continue my affiliation with the club as a “Friend of Rotary”. If there are other options available, please let me now but, to the best of my knowledge, this is the only option available with regard to retaining a connection with the club.

As you know, Rotary is an amazing organization to be a part of and I cherish every moment and memory that I have of the club, the district, and Rotary International as a whole. I look forward to continuing my Rotary service in the future when I will be able to set aside the time and effort that I feel is necessary.

Moving forward, I hope to continue our friendship and I hope to make the occasional appearance at Aldar Bistro as well as other Rotary events.

Please call or email me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you and please thank everyone at the BCN Club for all the help, support, and encouragement during my time in Rotary.

Yours In Rotary Service,

Sean

Time is something that will always be a limited quantity and I will never have enough to do all the things that I want to do. That being the reality, sometimes things just don’t make sense when you have to keep a schedule. I try to fit as many activities, groups, and events in my calendar and Rotary just doesn’t seem to fit at this specific point in my life. Will I return to Rotary? That is the plan and I hope that it will be sooner rather than later. Keep in mind that I will continue to participate whenever and where ever I am able but the weekly meetings are an unrealistic option. For now I say good bye quickly followed with see you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment