Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why Hello There Fall!



How long before we see this again? October? September? 

This past week there was a meteorological snafu. For some reason fall decided to visit in the middle of August as the daily highs topped out in the high 70’s and low 80’s. Now don’t get me wrong, I love fall, it may be my favorite time of year but this is a little ridiculous.

I have certain expectations during the summer especially in August. While I don’t look forward to it I anticipate frequent sweating and a mild disturbance in my mood. I am a little thrown off when my brow is bone dry and my marbles are cool and comfortable.

However, in the long run, if this is global warming I am happy to purchase a case of aerosol cans to ensure the longevity of this pattern. Al Gore said that we have to do our part and I am certainly willing to do so if it means bring summer to a premature end. After all, he is doing his part too. Remember, it is our duty to bring an end to swamp pants. So everyone please do your part and save the planet.

I hope to see more of the Facebook posts from friends that I read this week. Love letters to a refreshing day that make us long for the splendor that awaits us in the turning of the calendar’s pages; reminders of the simple pleasures that accompany the comfort of transitional seasons. More posts like this one I came across on Wednesday:

“Dear Glorious Fall Day - Why hello there! I think you might be a bit early, but I hope to be seeing more of you in the near future. Counting down the days to pumpkin spiced chai and boots. Oh yes.”

I don’t know about the Chai and boots but I am looking forward to more frequent visits from our Fall friend. Unlike the Summer house guest that won’t leave and insists on bringing their pestering insect friends and won’t let you walk around barefoot without getting third degree burns, Fall is a pleasant albeit temporary roommate that that opens the doors and cools the body as they awaken the senses to the aroma of fruit orchards and the breathtaking kaleidoscope of transforming trees. I would much rather have Summer’s stay cut short so that Fall could move in early.

Hopefully this new weather pattern holds up and we can all begin to relax in this early season. Maybe this early arrival will bring about prolonged fall. Of course, it could just mean that winter will arrive early too and really mess things up. Either way I am fine with it so long as it doesn’t get hot again until next year. I guess we will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment