Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Familiarize Yourself With A Nonalcoholic Screwdriver




It has always amazed me when I have come across people that don’t know how to use basic tools like a screwdriver or a hammer. Throughout my working life in particular, every once in a while I have had to fix various things especially at the office which remained in disrepair because no one knew how to fix them. I am not talking about major projects. I am talking about basic maintenance items such as wobbly desks and chairs to office doors sticking. Anyone who took basic wood shop would know how to fix these things.

Oh wait, that’s right, kids don’t take wood shop anymore.

People, in general, don’t know how to work with their hands anymore. It is too easy to call someone or replace something than invest some time and thought into how something can be fixed.  This is an issue that is only going to get worse over time as each succeeding generations learns less and less about how to complete small hands on projects around the home or, in this instance, office.

I find it relaxing to sit down with a project, tools in hand, and make something functional again. Sometimes it’s as simple as tightening a hinge or removing the wiggle from a chair while other times it could consist of assembling furniture or building a complete lower. Other times I have done some basic mechanical and refinishing work. By no means do I consider myself good at this but I can get the job done with adequate results.

However, I do know my limits. I do not mess with plumbing or electrical. Most of that kind of work is still beyond my basic knowledge at this point. For those projects I do call in a professional but I try to be there and observe what is being done in case there are minor things that I can pick up and deploy in a pinch.

This is something that everyone can do and should do as it provides you with a small amount of self reliance and know how that can’t be taken away from you. Too few people know the satisfaction that this can bring when you fix something with more than just duct tape. When you fix something in a way that lasts it is always a reminder of what you can do when you take the time and put your mind to something.

In the end, I think this all comes down to two things: a desire to learn and a willingness to work. We would all be better off if we could get more people to fix the things that break instead of just complaining on Facebook and asking for recommendations for a replacement. It really is that simple.

Take the time to educate yourself and start from the beginning if you need to. Basically, if you can’t differentiate between a flat head and Phillips head screwdriver just ask someone and start from there. There is no reason for your only exposure to a screwdriver having been at a bar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment