Sunday, July 28, 2013

I’m A Nudist And I Don’t Like It!


A couple months ago I made a drastic decision and shaved my beard. It was the first time that my face had seen daylight in nearly a decade and the first time my wife had ever seen me without one. While it may seem odd, not a day goes by that I don’t miss it. I guess you could say that my beard was my blanky.

It is also a source of memory for me as it has been a part of “my look” for so long. When my wife and I got engaged, my beard was neatly groomed for the pictures.

Engagement Beard (January 2007)
By the time our wedding came around I had gained a considerable amount of weight but still kept the beard looking good for our big day.

Wedding Fat Beard (June 2009)
Between our wedding and my wife’s birthday the following year I had lost a significant amount of weight and gain a number of inches on the beard.

Back to Nature Beard (October 2010)
Israel saw probably the best beard to date as I had lost some more weight and had everything trimmed with just the right amount of length.

Israeli Beard (July 2011)
Last summer we took a family vacation to Disney World where things got a little scraggly because, hey, we were on vacation.

Tired Disney Beard (July 2012)
And here I am recently at Crystal Cave, naked and fluffy.

Naked Spelunking (July 2013)
So, I am frequently asked, why did I do it? The reason is simple; beards are not seen as professional. I don’t agree with it but there is the reality of the situation. I had put it off as long as possible but I could no longer risk losing potential employment opportunities because of the way I look.

However, I think I look better with a beard and I know I feel, for some reason, more comfortable with one. Contrary to popular perception, my wife misses my beard as well and asks almost daily when I am going to grow it back. This leaves me to pose the following question every morning: to shave or not to shave?

The only thing I can say for certain is that it will be back. I don’t know when but it will most certainly be back. I miss my blanky.

No comments:

Post a Comment